Le Bal des Series

Please post any events or shows here.
flyingant

Le Bal des Series

Post by flyingant » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:57 pm

This coming weekend is the annual meeting of the French Series land Rover club "le temps des Series" - often held at 'Le Chateau de Bannegon'. This year it's being held at Ferrieres-Sur-Sichon in the 'Departement d'Allier'. Six Dormobiles from different European countries (2 from Switzerland!!) will be present, but not a single one from Britain, and NO Carawagons from anywhere!!

I know it's late in the season, and a long way away - but let's make a decision to be more numerous next year! If anyone is interested, I'll keep you posted with photos and news.

Cheers,
Tony
(N.B. Ice-creams were only ever sold from Bedford Debonair Dormobiles!!!)
RMS

Re: Le Bal des Series

Post by RMS » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:23 pm

Hi Tony,

I did hear about this event earlier in the year, but forgot to chase up dates etc. to post on here :thud:

Perhaps next year it could be posted much earlier in the year as a trip like that takes a lot more planning than our usual UK shows :stars:

We also didn't manage much support for a Normandy trip earlier in the year which at least one of our members goes to every year :embarassed:

If we can get them in the diary early enough, perhaps we can support them :cheers:

Thanks for reminding the rest of us.

Cheers,
Robin.
1967 109" Carawagon 200TDi
1972 109" SW Carawagon 2.5NA
1958 109" Carawagon 2.25P (project)
1972 109" Carawagon 200 or 300TDi (project)
1974 Dormobile 2.25D (project)
(Robin on S2C forum)
flyingant

Post by flyingant » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:37 pm

Hi Robin

Yes, this was a bit tongue-in-cheek(y) as much too late for this year! You are quite right - Normandy this year saw 2 Yorkshire members - 1 Dormobile + 1 Carawagon + myself. The 'Temps de Series' is less rabidly anti-coil springs than British clubs. so my genuine Dormobile Defender is welcomed with open arms!

To a numerous LR Classic Camper participation next year - it's always in the 2nd week of September!

Best regards,
Tony
overlander
Info: Carawagon Junkie

Post by overlander » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:47 pm

Yes Tony, we must make more effort to get off the show stands and head a bit further afield. I am a little disappointed that with the exception of Mick, Alex B and Big Dave, none of the usual suspects have taken a Landy outside the UK since our Moroccan trip. My excuse is that I haven't had a Carawagon since last year but I have done my bit in the past - several Trans-Saharas, 20 odd trips to North Africa, a London-Nairobi and a London-Bamako. So come on guys, off your back-sides and start planning, (prepares to face 'incoming') - although it doesn't take much to drive down to Dover, cross over to Calais, turn right and head South does it? Time and money also comes into it, I know.

Over to you, I'm through, although there might just be something on the horizon next year and I'm still keen to do the Pyrenees, West to East. Now all I need is a suitable vehicle...

cheers

J

One time fearless driver/leader, now old age traveller
Stuey

Post by Stuey » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:06 pm

The annoying thing about this is the fact I knew about the date, however I could not get time off of work for that particular weekend. However if you made it the weekend after I would be able to come as we are going across that way via Spain.
Not everything has to be big!

www.88inchcarawagons.co.uk
RMS

Post by RMS » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:43 pm

Hey John, we'd all love to travel like that if it was our job and we were paid to do it :neener:

Anyway - weren't you going to Normandy in your SWB this year - what happened? I suppose the same as the rest of us - time, money, family :shrug:

The reason I've done as many 'local' shows as I can this year is that they are easy and cheap (relatively) and they don't require a lot of forward planning.

I also don't feel very guilty spending a couple of nights away from Susan if it's just a LR weekend here. It's very different planning a much longer trip abroad - that feels more like a holiday and we don't normally do separate holidays!

Any trip involving crossing the channel inevitably costs a lot more, and if it's just for a weekend do it makes it a very expensive weekend in time and money :stars:

Saying that, I too was planning to go to Normandy this year, but time just got away from me and I ended up not going.

If I get organised early enough I/we might do one or two in France next year, perhaps even make it a stop-over on the way to Morocco, or if I can pursuade Susan that 1300 miles in a S2 Carawagon is worth it, we could make a longer holiday out of Bannegon or the closer Normandy gathering :whistle:

Cheers,
Robin.
(Robin on S2C forum)
flyingant

Post by flyingant » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:11 pm

Hey guys - you have absolutely NOTHING to be ashamed of. Your attendance at UK events, with the enthusiasm of Robin & Co is exceptional, and the Normandy presence in June was 2-1. It's easy for me - with around 4 hours drive to the BDS, and no ferry expenses. Also, we tend to forget that you have almost as far to drive to Dover as I do to Calais. To my shame, I haven't attended any LR events in UK this year! However, next year could be different! I shall definitely try to attend some UK events next year, and if possible, bring some European colleagues with me. Also, perhaps we can plan a Pyrenheen adventure for John - I'm sure he will beg,borrow, or steal a vehicle!

All the best,
Tony
flyingant

Post by flyingant » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:41 pm

We had a great weekend. Perhaps we can get some carawagons there next year :stars:

Some pics:
RMS

Post by RMS » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:35 pm

Thanks for sharing, Tony.

You never know - I was thinking about bringing up a planning session at one of our last 2012 shows where we can throw some ideas about around the firepit.

You never know what ideas we'll have once pear cider, Crabbies, Baileys and Morgan's Spiced get thrown into the equation :laugh:

Cheers,
Robin.
(Robin on S2C forum)
Spider

Post by Spider » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:11 pm

As a side note.
We prep Land Rovers for people traveling all over the world, but it does not have to be a "once in a life time trip" to the other side of the world, just get out there a enjoy what ever time you can in the fresh air.